‘Birchensale Middle School lies at the heart of the community. Our caring family values ensure the best possible environment for every pupil to realise their full potential’
English at Birchensale Middle School aims to encourage young minds to enquire, interpret and question anything and everything they read. We teach a wide spectrum of skills, with challenge and enjoyment at the heart of every lesson. We teach children to develop the skills and knowledge that will enable them to communicate effectively and creatively through spoken and written language and think it’s crucial for our pupils to enjoy and appreciate both Language and Literature and its rich variety. Our aim is to guide our pupils, introducing them to authors or genres that they may not have encountered before and support them to make their own choices. We also hope to provide real and exciting opportunities that inspire them to develop their writing throughout school and their life. We believe that the pupils go on a journey in English, and we guide our pupils on this journey, so they can express themselves confidently and creatively, with clear and correct use of English. It is also a journey that looks at what they have learnt in the past and uses that to build on what they will learn in the future. Our pupils can expect to experience a wide range of topics and units as well as theatre trips and visits to places of interest, all to help build on, and supplement their English lessons.
How do we deliver English at Birchensale Middle School?
- Medium term planning has been developed to meet the needs of all our pupils.
- Medium term planning incorporates the teaching of Shakespeare, poetry, novels and speaking and listening, across all year groups.
- All year groups access one library session a week, where they complete quizzes and reading using the Accelerated Reading Programme.
- Visitors such as authors or drama troupes, help to enhance our curriculum provision.
- We use VR (Virtual Reality) to help supplement our units of work.